Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Palak paneer

Palak paneer is perhaps the first Indian dish I ever tasted. I love creamed spinach, so pivoting to this dish was easy. After failing to find a good recipe for the past 10 years, I (finally!) stumbled across this gem. I've made it twice in the past two months, once for Easter (something for the vegetarians, you know) and again this week when I brought food over to new parents who also happen to be vegetarians. Now, don't let my seemingly one-sided use of this dish and lazy blog behavior dissuade you. It is awesome and easy to make! I might be going out on a limb here, but I even think that Jennifer's husband, who won't sit down at the dinner table unless there is some meaty thing for him to eat, might consider relaxing his dinnertime standards if this was on the menu.
Original recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/palak-paneer-indian-fresh-spinach-with-paneer-cheese-25348?oc=linkback

Ingredients

2 (5 ounce) bags baby spinach
1 large onion
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped tomato
3 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 tablespoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 ounces paneer cheese, cut into cubes (I substituted queso blanco, since I couldn't find firm paneer)
1/4 cup heavy cream (I used half and half and it tasted great)

Directions

1) Cut spinach into shreds and cook in 3 tablespoons water until tender; remove from heat and reserve water.
2) Saute onion, cinnamon, cardamom, and ginger in 1-2 tablespoons ghee or oil until onion is translucent. Add garlic and chopped tomatoes, and reduce heat. Cook briefly and slowly blend in yogurt a little at a time to prevent curdling.
3) Add coriander, garam masala, paprika, and salt, mixing well. Add cooked spinach with liquid, cover and simmer on low heat for approximately 20-30 minutes.
4) Remove from heat. Take half of spinach mixture and puree in food processor or blender,  return to mixture, and stir. Slowly stir in heavy cream, and heat through on low heat. Add paneer cubes and serve.

I promise to add pictures the next time I make this!

No comments:

Post a Comment