Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Becky's rhubarb crisp

If you're from the Midwest like me, you've grown up on rhubarb. My Mom had some in her garden and I remember a time when I gave a bunch to a friend, but left one lone stalk for her. Man was she mad! However, in NC you're much more likely to find collard greens and okra in your local grocery store. A cousin of mine missed rhubarb so much that my great-grandmother mailed him some rhubarb from her garden. This was in the 1980's and I'm sad to say that things haven't improved a lot in the interim. In fact, a few years ago I contemplated making a rhubarb dessert for some outing since I found some in the local grocery store. I was even more motivated when I learned that Justin had never sampled rhubarb. The horror! The likelihood of him ever tasting it didn't improve much when I described the taste as "a sweet celery." (It's more like sweet and sour celery!) However, he begrudgingly sampled a taste and I swear that most of it was gone the next day.
Anyways, this is a very easy recipe from my mom's friend Becky. If you're lucky to find rhubarb in the grocery store, give it a try. You won't be disappointed!

Ingredients

1 cup flour
3/4 cup oatmeal
1 cup brown sugar
12 cup melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups cut rhubarb
1 cup white sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp vanilla

Directions

1) Mix flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon together and press ~75% of it in a greased 8X8 pan. Top with rhubarb.
2) Cook white sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla until thick, stirring often. Pour over rhubarb. Add remaining topping. Bake at 350F for 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment