Monday, July 1, 2013

Harvey Wallbanger cake

Only one small piece left. Success!
I cannot believe it has been 1 month since my last post. Unfortunately being pregnant has left me with 0 energy to cook. In fact, I have reverted back to undergrad bad behavior, as I often turn to a bowl of healthy cereal for dinner and maybe a piece of fruit or two. However, my super-employee Anna was leaving for the great (soon to be) white north, so I wanted to bake her a goodbye cake. Of course I turned to my new favorite cake cookbook "Booze Cakes" and found this gem of a recipe, which was super-easy, quick, and cheap (with the exception of the Galliano.) Anna must know she's a super-employee, because I hate going to the liquor store pregnant! Of course I bring my cookbook so the clerk knows the fifth is for a recipe, although when I mentioned this to him he said that pregnant ladies are in there all the time. Does this strike you as a bit weird?
If you make this cake, try to do it the night before. It is even yummier after absorbing the liquid from the frosting, a texture like pineapple upside down cake!

Ingredients

For the Cake: 
1 box yellow cake mix
1 (3.3 ounce) box vanilla instant pudding
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
1/4 cup vanilla vodka (regular vodka works too)
1/4 cup Galliano liqueur
1/4 cup orange juice
For the Glaze 
1 cup confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon vanilla vodka (regular vodka works too)
1 tablespoon Galliano liqueur

Directions

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 10 inch bundt pan.
2) Beat cake mix, instant pudding, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla vodka, Galliano and orange juice until smooth. (About 3-4 minutes) Pour into greased bundt cake pan and cook for 45-50 minutes or until the bundt cake turns golden brown.
3) Let rest in cake pan 10 minutes and invert onto wire rack. Drizzle with glaze after cake has cooled.

1 comment: