Sunday, March 10, 2013

Lemon blueberry pancakes

Have I ever told you how spoiled my husband is? It is not uncommon, although less common since we've been married, for me to greet him with breakfast in bed on the weekend. Perhaps he doesn't know that it is a ploy; I make the coffee extra-strong so he will get out of bed and go do errands with me! Although I've never been on the received end of this, he is pretty good about bringing me a glass of water and my iPhone at night, so I'd say we're even Steven.


Anyways, I rarely make pancakes, instead opting for eggs and toast. However, last night I decided that it was time to mix it up a bit (no pun intended) and I immediately thought of lemons and blueberry. Don't ask me why. All I can say is that these were amazing. The recipe only calls for one tbsp of sugar and it is definitely enough. The lemon adds such a nice hint of sweetness. I'd even go as far to say that these were better than doughnuts. And I love doughnuts!

Makes eight pancakes and is very easy.

Ingredients:

  • 1 large egg
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup milk (next time I"ll add a bit more, as the batter was a bit thick for my taste)
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh blueberries, or use frozen thawed blueberries

Preparation:

Beat egg until frothy; add remaining ingredients except blueberries, beating just until smooth. Gently stir in blueberries. Grease a heated griddle. For each pancake, pour about 3 tablespoons of batter from a large spoon or from pitcher onto the hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other side until golden brown.

1 comment: