Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Chocolate chip cookies with sea salt



We're one month into the semester and I can detect the mood changing in class. Students are starting to become overwhelmed with the amount of coursework. The most shocking thing is that they don't come to class regularly. (Did I mention that class is at 8AM?) What can I do to help stem this tide of anxiety while maintaining high standards?

So, of course the answer is chocolate. Now, I'm not inviting any comparisons to Dementors, but I wanted to do something for the students to reiterate that I'm approachable and cookies seemed like a perfect overture. I also mentioned my blog in passing last week, so I feel like I should put my cooking skills on display. Plus, I could use another treat or two to spice up the desserts section on my blog. The students were so surprised (and happy) when I mentioned cookies that some broke out into applause. It really made my day!!!

Are you surprised that these cookies were really yummy? Justin said "they look weird, but taste great." You know why? I was too lazy to walk to the grocery store to get dark brown sugar. So, I substituted white sugar and molasses. They looked burnt (courtesy of the molasses), but tasted divine. The hint of salt was a nice addition too. 

Oh, last warning. This recipe made a massive amount of cookies, at least 60. I quickly packed the remained for Justin to bring to work. Calorie bomb crisis averted!

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup butter
3/4 cups dark brown sugar
3/4 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions

1- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a baking sheet.
2 - In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugars. Add in the vanilla and eggs. Mix until smooth. Add the flour, baking soda, and sea salt. Fold in the chocolate chips. 
3 - Roll dough into balls and drop on your greased baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before moving to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment